Maintaining Your Water Heater in Winter
Hot water gets taken for granted so much that many folks forget about annual maintenance for their water heater. Just like a furnace or air conditioner, your water heater should be inspected and repaired at least annually. Winter maintenance works well for water heaters because that’s when you’ll rely on a hot shower the most!
Winter Maintenance Tips for Water Heaters
Glenbrook Heating & Air Conditioning services and installs water heaters in Chicago’s North Shore area, so we know what it takes to maintain hot water in a cold environment.
We recommend taking the following steps for water heater maintenance every winter:
- Insulation. Did you have cold showers last winter? Add insulation to the storage tank or pipe insulation to the water lines of a tankless water heater. This is especially important for water heaters in uninsulated basements or mechanical rooms.
- Flushing. You should drain and flush a hot water tank every six months or so. Homes with hard water may want to do so more often. Run a hose from the drain valve to the outdoors or a floor drain and fill the tank with cold water.
- Adjust the temperature. You may have set your water heater lower to save money on energy, but feel free to turn it up higher in the winter. Especially if you can’t insulate the pipes any better.
- Check the relief valve. Open the temperature pressure relief valve and some water should come out. If not, get it replaced to prevent disaster later!
- Check the anode rod. This is a “sacrificial” element that helps prevent mineral scale and hard water damage. It can last up to a few years depending on the hardness of your water. It should be replaced after a few years for a new water heater, and then inspected annually thereafter.
DIY Water Heater Maintenance?
Strictly speaking, water heaters should only be worked on by professionals. Gas water heaters carry a risk of deadly catastrophe if a problem goes unnoticed. Even electric water heaters have their dangers. Water heater repairs that involve internal components are probably not accessible to you and require intimate knowledge of the equipment.
Most homeowners are fully comfortable with draining and flushing a water heater. You can also buy insulating wraps for the tank and pipes at hardware stores and stick them on yourself.
Beyond those measures, leave the winter maintenance and any water heater repairs to your local heating technicians!
Water Heater Maintenance in the Chicago Area
Do you need a water heater tune-up this winter? Look to the experts at Glenbrook Heating and Air Conditioning! Call us at 847-729-0114 or contact us online for water heater maintenance, repair, or replacement in Glenview, IL or throughout Chicago’s North Shore area.
I have been a customer of Glenbrook Heating & Air Conditioning for 30+ years. The company and their employees are professional and friendly.- Sherry H. on 09/20/18
We’ve been customers for a very long time and we have nothing but good things to say about Glenbrook heating & air conditioning . They are reliable, reasonable, & most of all honest.- Carol A D. on 09/11/18
It all went quite well. Nick and Brian were great. We have used Glenbrook Heating and Air Conditioning for over 40 years and will continue to recommend them.- Nancy Q. 09/05/18
High quality accurate service; listen to and work with customer; professional; committed to providing high quality customer service.- Linda T. 08/23/18
Glenbrook Heating & AC is great. I really enjoy working with Jill, and the technicians - Dominick and Nick are the two I have worked with -- are always prompt, thorough, and answer my many questions. Keep up the great work.- Mark C. 07/12/18
A huge thank you for coming out in a short notice Brian was professional and service was outstanding you save us from scorching temps we really appreciate you!!!- Rosemary S.
This is to thank you for your quick installation of my new water heater. It means a lot to me. You and your dad should be commended for your prompt and business-like way of conducting your business. I made the initial call to Fred…- Betty H. (Glenview)
Fred and Brad,
Thank you so much for your prompt attention.- Marla S. (Glenview)
Thank you for the beautiful job you did in the basement! I really appreciate the thoroughness and care by which you put the whole thing together! It is always a pleasure to do business with you and your dad. Please send regards to him.…- Terry B. (Glenview)
Dear Fred and Brad,
Thank you very much for your fast response to my air conditioning problem. Brad was a genius—in a very short time he identified the problem, corrected it, and was on his way. I appreciate your service and fine work.- June K. (Glenview)
Thanks for stopping over on Saturday to check by boiler during the deep freeze. You’re the best!- Monika
Fred, Brad and Jill,
Thank you for such wonderful service. You all have been so helpful. The installation was flawless and we love how well the furnace works. What a difference! See you in the spring for our annual cleaning.- George and Ginny H. (Northbrook)
Thank you for a job well done. See you in the winter.- Behrooz Z. (Northfield)
Thanks so much for your prompt service. I really appreciate it.- Sally K. (Wilmette)
Thank you for the quick service.- Alice M. (Skokie)
Thank you Brad for your tidy job of putting in the humidifier.- Susie