Why Does My Furnace Smell Like It’s Burning?
You should not have to accept that your furnace makes a burning smell or other foul odors when it runs.
If your furnace has a chronic smell of burning dust or has suddenly begun making strange odors, turn it off now and then take appropriate steps to ensure your safety and air quality.
Common Reasons a Furnace Makes a Burning Smell
As soon as you notice a burning smell, you should turn off your furnace.
Before doing so, stop for a brief moment to determine if you can identify the smell’s characteristics or source. Most furnace odors fall into three categories:
- Dusty burning smell: This often indicates that it’s time to change the air filter. The furnace may also have dust settled on the inside. Dust and clean the parts you can reach, then call for service if the burning smell continues.
- Gas leak (rotten egg smell): That sulfuric smell is added to gas to alert you. Shut off the furnace immediately and call for service. A professional can diagnose the problem, which may be a cracked part or a failing pilot light or ignitor.
- Burning metallic smell or other odors: When it’s not dust or gas, a burning smell coming from the furnace or vents can indicate any number of electrical or mechanical problems. There is probably an overheated component or electrical wire. Call your HVAC company for diagnostics and parts replacements.
Getting Rid of a Burning Smell from Your Furnace
As the homeowner, you can change the filter to help with dusty smells. For most anything else, you should call a heating technician to be safe. Here are the steps to follow:
- Turn off the furnace. Avoid the temptation to keep the unit running while you search for the source. Be safe, turn off the furnace, and then visually inspect for the cause or call a professional.
- Look for active fire or smoke. Rule out an active emergency and call 9-1-1 if you do find anything dangerous!
- Inspect for burn damage. After the furnace has been off for a while (so you don’t risk touching hot parts), inspect the equipment and any nearby objects for signs of burning or melting to give you an idea of the location and extent of the damage.
- Clean the air filter and equipment if you can. Some furnaces are difficult to clean without professional equipment, but you may be able to dust and wipe down some dusty parts.
- Call a heating repair service for anything beyond normal homeowner maintenance. If it’s not just a dusty air filter, that burning smell is telling you that your furnace has a problem. Call a pro if anything seems less than ideal, or if the smell comes back.
Furnace Repair in Chicago’s North Shore
For help in Chicago’s North Shore, you can call Glenbrook Heating & Air Conditioning at 847-729-0114 for furnace repair, troubleshooting, and HVAC service. Our technicians can quickly identify the cause of your furnace’s burning smell and make corrections so the furnace can run cleanly and safely again.
I have been a customer of Glenbrook Heating & Air Conditioning for 30+ years. The company and their employees are professional and friendly.- Sherry H. on 09/20/18
We’ve been customers for a very long time and we have nothing but good things to say about Glenbrook heating & air conditioning . They are reliable, reasonable, & most of all honest.- Carol A D. on 09/11/18
It all went quite well. Nick and Brian were great. We have used Glenbrook Heating and Air Conditioning for over 40 years and will continue to recommend them.- Nancy Q. 09/05/18
High quality accurate service; listen to and work with customer; professional; committed to providing high quality customer service.- Linda T. 08/23/18
Glenbrook Heating & AC is great. I really enjoy working with Jill, and the technicians - Dominick and Nick are the two I have worked with -- are always prompt, thorough, and answer my many questions. Keep up the great work.- Mark C. 07/12/18
A huge thank you for coming out in a short notice Brian was professional and service was outstanding you save us from scorching temps we really appreciate you!!!- Rosemary S.
This is to thank you for your quick installation of my new water heater. It means a lot to me. You and your dad should be commended for your prompt and business-like way of conducting your business. I made the initial call to Fred…- Betty H. (Glenview)
Fred and Brad,
Thank you so much for your prompt attention.- Marla S. (Glenview)
Thank you for the beautiful job you did in the basement! I really appreciate the thoroughness and care by which you put the whole thing together! It is always a pleasure to do business with you and your dad. Please send regards to him.…- Terry B. (Glenview)
Dear Fred and Brad,
Thank you very much for your fast response to my air conditioning problem. Brad was a genius—in a very short time he identified the problem, corrected it, and was on his way. I appreciate your service and fine work.- June K. (Glenview)
Thanks for stopping over on Saturday to check by boiler during the deep freeze. You’re the best!- Monika
Fred, Brad and Jill,
Thank you for such wonderful service. You all have been so helpful. The installation was flawless and we love how well the furnace works. What a difference! See you in the spring for our annual cleaning.- George and Ginny H. (Northbrook)
Thank you for a job well done. See you in the winter.- Behrooz Z. (Northfield)
Thanks so much for your prompt service. I really appreciate it.- Sally K. (Wilmette)
Thank you for the quick service.- Alice M. (Skokie)
Thank you Brad for your tidy job of putting in the humidifier.- Susie